So there is a sign on the compartment that has all of the power systems in the motorhome. It says 120/240, but don't you believe it!!!! I made the mistake of wiring up a 220 to plug my new baby in. It is a massive 3-prong plug that looks like a dryer or stove type of connector...and at 30 amps! Connecting it up and turning it on made massive growl and then a loud "thump". I knew I was in trouble. Well, after a 1.5hr trip to an authorized repair facility for my inverter/charger, it was declared that "It's dead, Jim." That was a $1,500 mistake. Now it wasn't acting perfectly healthy to begin with, but that certainly finished it off.
So yesterday was a very stressful day for me as I was going to install the new inverter/charger myself that I had ordered off Amazon. I couldn't see driving back 1.5hr to the repair place when I could probably hook things back up myself. Everything was fine until I couldn't get ANY power from my shore connection. I found that there was yet ANOTHER breaker inside that provides power connectivity to my inverter. Once I figured that out, all was golden. Here is a picture of the new pure-sine inverter that I installed in place of the destroyed modified-sine inverter that I put out of its misery.
A few weeks ago I replaced the "house" batteries as well. The original setup was using (4) 12v deep cycle batteries in parallel. I wanted to make sure I had lots of reserve power as I am looking forward to getting off-grid for camping. I put in (4) 6v batteries that are connected in series and parallel. I will get the same 12v power, but I will have a lot more runtime. It calculates out to 450ah of power at 12v.